Healthy gums are super important for oral and general wellbeing as well as a gorgeous, happy smile! As part of National Gum Care Month, we are sharing 5 easy steps that not only improve your gum health, but also help prevent gum disease which, if left untreated, can have devastating consequences.
Gum disease stems from several causes, poor oral hygiene being the most common. Almost half of American adults experience some form of gum disease! Research shows that having unhealthy gums places you at higher risk of cardiovascular issues and can even contribute to the progression of diabetes. The good news is that caring for your mouth may lessen these risks — it’s time to make sure your gum health is a high priority.
How do you do that? Prevention is the best medicine. Your mouth is a hot bed of bacteria — but by establishing an essential daily routine using the best tools and practices you can remove bacteria and plaque before it hardens into tarter and festers into decay.
DrTung’s recommended routine for improving gum health includes the following five steps…let’s take a closer look.
This should be your number one step in oral care. Bacteria builds up on your tongue, especially overnight. Tongue scraping removes that buildup and helps prevent cavities, gum disease and other oral conditions. Scrape first thing in the morning before eating or drinking and before the rest of your oral routine.
To scrape your tongue correctly:
- Open your mouth and say ahhhh
- Place the tongue scraper as far back as comfortable
- Gently glide the cleaner forward, scraping off unwanted matter
- Repeat 3-4 times, rinsing scraper after each pass
By using the correct technique and a non-toxic floss (PTFE and PFAS free) that’s gentle on gums and a warrior against plaque, you’re getting into those areas that a toothbrush can’t reach. Once a day is good, twice a day is even better.
To floss correctly:
- Wrap 18” of floss around fingers and draw tight
- Slide floss between teeth, curve it around tooth and clean between tooth and gum with gentle up and down motion
- Repeat using a clean section between each tooth
Brushing your teeth is the best known of the oral hygiene habits. Hopefully, you are already a devotee. Many people, though, use an incorrect technique.
To brush correctly:
- Choose a soft bristled brush that is gentle on the gums.
- Place the brush at a 45-degree angle against your teeth, with the bristles facing the point where your teeth join your gums.
- Use circular motions and up and down movements. Each stroke should be gentle—never scrub!
Aim for twice per day.
Oil pulling nourishes gums and helps to remove the bacteria that cause plaque. Ideally, aim for four times per week.
To oil pull correctly:
- Perform in the morning on an empty stomach and after brushing your teeth
- Place a tablespoon of oil in your mouth. Swish around, forcing the oil between every gap
- Continue for 5-10 minutes if using DrTung’s Oil Pulling Concentrate (20 minutes w/ plain oil)
- Spit the oil into a bin (not down the sink)
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm salt water
#5—Treat minor issues before they become problems
Have you ever wondered if you can heal and strengthen your gums? Or how to find respite from oral conditions like mouth pain, receding or swollen gums, swelling or bleeding gums, or simply from a dry mouth?
REJUV™ for Gums is a topically applied, 100% herbal remedy based on ancient wisdom and modern science. Used as needed, our customers love REJUV for its ease and results.
To apply REJUV correctly:
- Place several drops on a clean finger and gently massage in for 30 - 45 seconds, or
- Place eight to ten drops in your mouth and swish for the same timeframe
- Spit out after use, but do not rinse mouth.
Use three to five times per day, as required.
To improve gum health and prevent gum disease, you must care for your oral health. A dental check-up every six months will also help to keep your oral health in tip top shape and give you a heads up on any potential issues. We recommend consulting with a holistic dentist who recognizes mouth-body-mind connections. (You’d be surprised how many there are!)
Just like any other endeavor, there are important steps. Tongue scraping, flossing, brushing, oil pulling, and REJUV when needed, will improve your gum health and help deliver a radiant smile!